The Synology Diskstation DS220+ is a two-drive NAS server built around the Intel Celeron J4025 processor. It has the capability of running 6Gb of DDR4 RAM and 32TB of storage. This device is extremely easy to setup utilizing the Synology DiskStation Manager OS.
The Diskstation Manager allows easy integration with third party packages such as Plex Media Server, Web Station, WordPress, and VPN Server. During our testing the unit was very quiet and would make a great addition to any home network at a low price point.
What we liked:
- Simple setup
- Great media streaming capabilities
- Files can easily be shared between computers on the same network
- Flexibility of adding additional server packages
- Great value
What we disliked:
- Lack of documentation for certain configurations
- Upload and download speeds could be better
- Real-time editing of large files have a noticeable lag (Video, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)
- No M2 SSD slots for cache
Overall we were very pleased with the value this NAS server brought to our home network. It was easy to setup, expandable, and allowed us to collaborate on files. Media streaming also enhanced this device as their was little to no buffering between the NAS server and our television.
Check Prices on Amazon: Synology DS220+
The Synology DS220+ NAS Server currently tops our rank of the best home media server for under $300 and is a great addition to any home network.
It's sleek, quiet, easy to setup, and has been a workhorse since we've had it setup. There's a small learning curve when working with packages in the DiskStation Manager, so documentation could be improved.